Expense IQ (formerly EasyMoney) is one of the apps many users really love and use on a daily basis to keep track of their finances and expenditure – good habits that we at Handy Apps always try to promote.
Through these (~7) years, we developed the idea into an ambitious app with a goal to assist fellow smartphone/tablet users to manage and stay ahead of their finances, which no doubt has benefited not only us, but hundreds of thousands of users worldwide.
How did Expense IQ help us over these years?
- Track ‘n’ save – We realized that by being conscious of how much you spend and save, we can end up saving even more
- Budgets ‘n’ rewards – By setting budgets, we can pamper ourselves once in a while as a reward for achieving goals and completing tasks in real-life – self-motivation! Keeping to the budget also means that we do not jeopardize our saving plans and can still satisfy our urge to spend once in a while, be it on great food for the family or a nice little trip with our loved ones.
- Bills, bills, bills – We never had to pay a single late fee since we added Bill Reminders to Expense IQ. Gone are the days when we had to mark every month’s payment due dates for every bill on our paper calendars.
- More devices than hands? – As some of us are kind of geeky/developery, we have 4-5 devices and we know some of you have too. Keeping them in sync and having the freedom to use any device to manage and analyze finances with zero hassle was something we could not even dream about pre-Expense IQ.
What does 2.0 mean to us?
Expense IQ 2.0, which is live on Google Play (check back after a few hours if you still do not see it) is not just a number. It is a sign of our dedication and of greater things to come.
We have always listened to our users and some of you may have heard us saying that we “have a long list of to-dos” planned for the app’s future. We’re not kidding, but as it’s not on a piece of paper, you can only imagine what that long list looks like.
In 2.0, we stepped up the code, made it even more optimized, ready for the future changes, and spent countless man-hours testing (we didn’t count, as that would take away time from testing) and revamping the app to make it worthy of the title “2.0”. We probably went through barrels of coffee these few months.
What’s live in 2.0 right now?
- Material Design – This was one daunting task. Not only did we have to re-design the app, but we made sure old users feel right at home even after the re-design. Tablet UI is also fully updated. The widgets are also updated too, so check them out. (Dark Theme will come in another update)
- Customizable Account/Category icons – New feature! Human eyes are naturally quicker to perceive colours and images over text, so we have added this fun and useful feature. You can change any category and account icons as well as select any color you fancy!
- Cloud Sync over Google Firebase – As Dropbox announced that they will be shutting down their Datastore API (which Expense IQ 1.0 used for Cloud Sync), we have decided to make use of a newer, more reliable, faster and more flexible Cloud service, Google’s very own Firebase. You can still sync unlimited devices. Logging in will be equally, if not easier than before (simply tap on your Google Account) and syncing will be seamless.
- Many smaller requested features – We have fixed numerous bugs and added little features that you have requested for, like making post-dated transactions more obvious, average value for monthly/yearly reports etc
From “Gold” to “Premium”
This was unfortunately one of the most difficult decisions we have ever made (other than increasing the name by 3 letters). Our goal is to create the best expense manager and accounting app ever, and Dropbox’s decision to shut down Datastore (the old Cloud Sync method) forcing a move to Google Firebase results in notable upkeep costs.
We also want to speed up development to add the features you have requested for, which meant more coffee, M*untain D*w and Nac*os etc from increased development hours and testing hours.
Expense IQ is moving to a subscription-based Premium model (lifetime purchase option will be coming) but all current Gold users will be able to migrate with no change to your status (check it again in a few hours if you don’t see a message in-app) and there will be no trial period in the free version just like before, which means you can still continue to use even if you decide not to subscribe after that.
The free version is still powerful as always and we made sure it is way more than sufficient for personal use.
So what new features are we looking at in the future?
(Update 20/4) Exciting updates in the very near future we’re working on:
Dark theme – yes, we have AMOLED devices too.(done!)
- Desktop version – Compatible with Windows/Mac OS/Linux
(Linux: if you are using a distro that is relatively popular (Ubuntu/Debian/Mint etc), feel free to let us know if you encounter any issue)
What are the most commonly requested features that we fancy? You have suggested iOS (desktop/web and other OSes) apps, smartwatch integration, excluded/archived accounts, more reports (and exporting options), saving goals to name a few and we like them too, but it takes time to add each big feature, and we sincerely appreciate the patience you have shown us so far, and hereafter.
Our journey to this milestone would have never happened without all our users, and the upcoming bigger and more awesome milestones can only be made possible with your continued support. Continue to talk to us as we strive towards the next biggest milestones and ultimately, the best expense manager and accounting app ever.