Notice: This page is obsolete and will no longer be updated.
Check out the new and updated Expense IQ FAQ!
For data transfer related questions, refer to this section.
1. How to delete accounts or budgets?
To delete an account, simply tap on the account first then scroll sideways on the quick action bar till you see ‘Delete Account’.
To delete a budget, simply tap on the budget first then scroll sideways on the quick action bar till you see ‘Delete Budget’.
Note that the quick action menu will not appear if you have previously set a default action. Simply tap and hold on the account/budget to display it again.
2. How to exclude future transactions from being calculated in the account balance?To change this setting, please go to Settings > Display Settings > Account Balance Display and set ‘Show Today’s Balance’.
3. I created a repeating transaction but where is its next repeat?
By default, recurring transactions only appear on the transaction date itself.To change this setting, please go to Settings > Display Settings and set ‘Create Repeating Transactions X Days in advance’ where X can be up to 90 days.
Exit the app completely using the back button, then relaunch and check the account. Note that the created transactions will not disappear if you change from a longer days period to a shorter one.
If Cloud Sync is enabled: note that only the master device will create repeating transactions. To set your current device as the master device, please go to Cloud Sync > Current Device is:.
4. I created a repeating bill reminder but do not see its next repeat. Where is it?
By default, repeating bill reminders will be created 30 days before their due dates.
For example, if you create a bill reminder for the next day, and set it to repeat once monthly, you will only see 1 bill reminder. The next day, you may then see next month’s repeating bill reminder (this depends on how many days that month has though).
To change this setting, please go to Settings > Display Settings and set ‘Create Repeating Bill Reminders X Days in advance’ where X can be up to 90 days.
If Cloud Sync is enabled: note that only the master device will create repeating bill reminders. To set your current device as the master device, please go to Cloud Sync > Current Device is:.
5. How do I stop the repeating transactions?
To halt and delete a repeating transaction, please follow the below steps.
1. Tap to edit the latest repeating transaction that you no longer need
2. Change from ‘Repeat’ to ‘Does Not Repeat’
3. Update the transaction with the change and make sure it longer has the blue repeat icon
4. Delete the updated transaction
Note that latest means the latest created one. You may wish to change your date period to ‘Post Dated Transactions’ to see if there are others previously created from the same repeating transaction. If yes, repeat the same actions above for them.
6. Is there a search function?
Yes there is. Access the Advanced Search function by tapping on the magnifying glass icon in the transaction list.
7. How do I select multiple transactions?
Simply tap and hold on one transaction till you see it highlighted in blue, then proceed to tap on other desired transactions. Tap on the right icon on the top blue bar to perform an action on the selected transactions.
8. How does the split transaction works?
It works like this:
1. Select Add Split from Overview’s add wheel on the bottom left or tap the + icon in any account and change transaction type to Split Transaction
2. Key in a payee
3. Select a category at the bottom and key in the amount. You can select a deposit category or make a transfer too. Tap on + to add
4. Select the next category and key in the amount too. Tap on + to add more split categories
5. Tap on Save to save the split transaction and you’re done
9. What do the different transaction statuses mean?
It is not compulsory to use all the different statuses. Usage will depends on how detailed you wish to record your transactions. An example will be provided for each transaction status below.
This is the default transaction status. You have just written a $200 cheque to someone. A transaction will be created as Uncleared.
You went for an ATM withdrawal and notice that your account has $200 less. This probably means that your cheque has been cashed in. You update the transaction to Cleared.
You received your monthly bank statement and want to check if the transactions are in order. You launch the app and do an Advanced Search for Cleared transactions. If the transaction is reflected in your statement, you can update the transaction to Reconciled.
If a transaction has been declined but you wish to keep a record for reference, mark the transaction as Void. The transaction will be strikethrough.
1. How do I upgrade to Gold Edition?
You can do so from within Expense IQ. Simply tap on the app icon at the top, or swipe the screen from left to right first. Then tap on ‘Upgrade to Gold’ listed there.
2. Is the upgrade a one-time payment or a monthly payment?
The upgrade is an in-app purchase that will be tied to your app store account. This purchase is a one-time payment.
3. I have upgraded, but why do I still see the upgrade popup?
The upgrade may take a while to initiate. Please try exiting the app completely via the back button, then relaunch the app again.
1. How do I use Cloud Sync?
Cloud Sync is unlocked when you upgrade to Gold Edition. To start, simply tap on the app icon at the top, or swipe the screen from left to right and select ‘Cloud Sync’.
Tap Enable, then proceed to sign in to your Dropbox account. The first data sync is automated upon login. Subsequent devices that log in to the same Dropbox account can choose to restore data from cloud, or copy existing data to cloud.
Note that the first device to enable sync will be the Master device and is solely responsible for creating repeating transactions and bill reminders.
2. Why is there no Expense IQ folder in my Dropbox account?
Cloud Sync utilises the Datastore function by Dropbox. This does not create a folder in your Dropbox account. Should you wish to find out more, drop us an email at www.expense-iq.com/contact.
3. Why does a message ‘Database Creation Failed’ appears when syncing my data?
That message indicates that the Datastore storage limit has been reached. This is more likely to happen if you have years’ worth of data.
To sync successfully, some data will need to be archived. Archived data are not synced but stored in a separate file. Here are the steps to do that.
1. Using the main device that contains your Expense IQ data, go to Database Tools and scroll to Data Archival
2. Tap on ‘Create Archive File’
3. Select a month and year from which data will be archived, tap on ‘Archive’.
4. Upon a successful archival, certain information will be displayed. Note the file name of the archived file and also the change in starting balance for all affected accounts.
5. Go to Cloud Sync and enable synchronization
6. Go through the Dropbox sync setup process
7a. If you do not have any prior data, your existing Expense IQ data will be auto synced upon account verification
7b. If you have prior data, choose ‘Copy to Cloud’ to copy your existing Expense IQ to DropboxIf you still see the ‘Database Creation Failed’ message, you will need to archive more data before re-attempting cloud synchronization.
1. Expense IQ is great! Do you have a PC version or any other version available?
Expense IQ is currently only available for devices who have access to Google Play Store, Amazon Appstore, or Galaxy APPS. We may look into getting the app available for other platforms in the future though. Thank you for supporting us!
Can’t find your question here? Email us directly at www.expense-iq.com/contact for assistance.